Here’s my menu plan for the week:
Monday – Fish tacos (halibut) with mexi rice
Tuesday – Lucky day grilled cheese with tomato basil soup
Wednesday – Chicken Fajitas with salad and beans
Thursday – Baked chicken with cornbread and green beans
Friday – Out for Pizza @ a church event OR pumpkin pecan pancakes with whipped cream
Saturday – Whole wheat penne pasta with marinara and leftover baked chicken
Chicken Fajitas for Two
- 1/4 c fresh lime juice
- 2 Tb vegetable oil
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- dash onion powder
- 1/3 c water
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tb vegetable oil
- 2 Tb water
- 1 Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- dash salt and black pepper
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- whatever you like on your fajitas (sour cream, guac, salsa, etc)
1) Combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl or a ziploc bag. Soak the chicken in the marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours, but – the longer you soak it the better it tastes (up to 24 hours).
2) Preheat a skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion and bell pepper in the oil for five minutes. Combine the soy sauce, water, and lime juice and then pour over the onions. Add black pepper and continue to saute until onions are translucent. Salt to taste.
3) While the onions and peppers are sauteing, grill the meat for 4 to 5 minutes per side until no longer pink. When done, remove from the grill and slice it into thin strips.
4) Combine contents of skillet (including liquid) and the chicken. Serve immediately with tortillas and fixin’s.
I adapted this recipe from the Secret Restaurant Recipes book for Chili’s regular chicken fajitas. I made it a lot less labor intensive and omitted a few ingredients that seemed unecessary after making this a time or two. I know this seems like a lot of ingredients and work – but it’s worth it!
If you would like more recipes and great ideas for meals, be sure to check out the host of Menu Play Monday – Orgjunkie! You can view all the participants of this week’s MPM here.